Friday, July 28, 2006

The Black Box

I feel as though I need to apologize for my lack of blogging recently, but I want you to all know that I have tried to blog this week, but my internet at home and I have a very difficult relationship, because of which, blogging just wasn't an option. Anyway....

I need to ask a few more questions...Does anyone reading this know anything about magnets??? Not like little fridge magnets, but magnetic fields?

Why you may ask??? Well as mentioned in a previous blog, we have a new security system at work, which has been very good, except for the times when I forgot to desensitize the sticker and made it go beep and couldn't work out what was going on, but that's another story. But as part of this new system we have a few new magnetized bits and pieces that we use to turn off or unlock the security systems, and I have decided that I don't like them at all.

This morning I was at work and I put through a item which had one of these stickers on it, and as this was the first time I had remembered what I had to do with the stickers, I went to the box which has the power to turn the sticker off and I got the shock of my life, I tell you what.

The box, which looks very harmless and simple, pulsates and hums and to tell you the truth, it scared me a little. It sucked the sticker in to it and when I pulled it off and moved away from the box my leg tingled a little and now I have a headache. Now I realise that I might be over reacting and these symptoms may be completely unrelated, but it’s not the first time that I have felt this when I have been near "the box". If I remember correctly I got the same kinds of feelings when we first got the new system and I wanted to have a closer look. So whether I am being a little silly or not, I want to know what kind of damage these machines can do....

Has anyone actually proven that they are safe? Am I going to get very sick when I am older? Are these magnets going to get a name like Asbestos? Will I be part of a massive union lawsuit? Am I making it all up? Should I avoid the box at all times? Will I lose my job if I refuse to work with the box? Can magnets give you bad diseases? Will the magnetic field mess with my mind?

If someone has the answers please let me know...my life clearly depends on it.

Just some thoughts I had

Stay tunned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Em,

I don't think they are harmful. They just kinda de-sensitize the security tag so that it doesn't beep through the sensors.

Kinda like when you take out a library book and they swipe it...

Love M

fee said...

ahhh. thats the em i know. paranoid.

Anonymous said...

i'm scared of it too, when we first got it , i was scared that it was going to serverley reduce my chances of one day having kids, so i still don't like standing near it, no-one has proved to me it is safe yet, so for my future children i am walking around the other side of the counter!!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL... i want to see if THE BOX gives me a headache or not!!!